Sunday 2 November 2008

Talking to voters in Sydney

This afternoon I did my first door knocking session as the PPC for Labour in Crewe and Nantwich. I was really pleased with the reception I received.

People raised a few different issues on the doorstep. I met a couple of sorting office workers who were at the rally last Saturday. We had a good chat about the future and agreed that it is important the industrial action ballot goes through to try to bring Royal Mail management to the negotiating table. The company must give the CWU the opportunity to look at the national plan for sorting offices, rather than picking them off one-by-one.

We were collecting signatures on the petition for a Crewe Town Council again. There was a lot of support for the proposal, people recognise the need for a strong voice for the town.

One woman told me she'd written to Edward Timpson and not received a response, so I was happy to take up the issue on her behalf. I am happy to support constituents' cases and help wherever I can.

We finished at the Sydney Arms, a super little pub. It's what I call a proper pub and the Robinson's Unicorn Bitter was excellent. It's important that we use our community pubs to help keep them trading and open for business. I saw the article by Cllr Howard Curran in this week's Chronicle about the number of local pubs closing down and I share his concern.

Please click here for the Crewe Blog review of the Sydney Arms

No comments: