Tuesday 20 October 2009

David Williams supports local postal workers

“Nobody wants a postal strike on Thursday”, said David Williams Labour’s Parliamentary Candidate for Crewe & Nantwich, “we need Royal Mail management to work with the CWU for a lasting agreement on the modernisation programme.”

David Williams continued, “This dispute is crucial to the future of the Crewe Sorting Office. Last year I gave my full support to the CWU when I spoke on the steps of the Municipal Buildings at their rally. I then called for management to negotiate with the Union on a national plan and to stop picking-off sorting centres for closure like Crewe.

“It saddens me that twelve months later I have to repeat that call. Management must be transparent on the modernisation proposals to enable an agreed way forward with the Union, it is the only hope for Crewe.

David Williams concluded, “I can assure Crewe and Nantwich postal workers that they have my full support and that of the local Labour Party. Our joint efforts saw off the threat of privatisation and we must now get an agreement on the future of Royal Mail.

“I very much welcome the backing for postal workers from some MPs who have rallied around an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons that supports an early settlement of the dispute.”

Early Day Motion 2035 reads: “That this House welcomes the proposals put forward by the Communication Workers Union seeking to find a resolution to the current postal dispute, in particular their offer to explore the possibility of third party mediation; and calls on the Government to do all in its power to ensure that Royal Mail responds positively to the union's proposal.”

Please click here for further information on EDM 2035

No comments: