Thursday 12 February 2009

David Williams concerned for the future of Crewe Works

David Williams, Labour's Parliamentary Candidate for Crewe and Nantwich, has responded to news that the preferred bidder for the new £7.5 billion contract to build super express trains is not Bombardier.

David Williams said: "It is very welcome that the Government is continuing to invest in our railways, despite the current economic difficulties. However I am very concerned that Bombardier has not landed the contract for the largest UK investment in new rolling stock. This creates or safeguards 12,000 jobs in UK manufacturing, which is very good news for our economy, but my concern is for jobs in Crewe and Nantwich.

"Crewe has a proud railway history, but I want the Town to have a railway future.

"I have been in touch with the Unite Works Convenor to express my full support and I am contacting the Secretary of State for Transport. I was delighted to welcome Geoff Hoon to Crewe a few weeks ago and I made the point then that Crewe and Nantwich has many highly skilled and experienced railway engineers who have a lot to offer the industry. We must not allow those skills to go to waste. I will be reminding the Minister of that conversation and calling on him to act.

"When I helped Gwyneth with her campaign to try to stop the Tories from privatising BREL, our worse fear was that this would be the beginning of the end for Crewe Works. More than twenty years later a much smaller Crewe Works is still there and I expect a Labour Government to safeguard those jobs and give the business the opportunity to expand and grow."

No comments: