Wednesday 18 February 2009

Letter to the Chronicle

Dear Sir

If they ever relocate the TV show Shameless to Crewe, I'm sure Edward Timpson MP will be cast in a leading role.

I could not believe his desperate attempt to claim some credit for the station staying put, when he hadn't done a tap to campaign for that outcome.

The only position Mr Timpson took on Crewe railway station was to sit on the fence. He did not recognise the economic impact of moving the station to Basford and he did not stand up for Crewe and Nantwich.

CREAM were farsighted enough to see the devastating consequences for the Town of losing its railway station. I congratulate CREAM on their success and I was more than happy to give them my wholehearted support and help with the campaigning work. I was delighted that the Secretary of State for Transport accepted my invitation to meet with CREAM, giving them the opportunity to make their case directly.

The challenge now is not to settle for the £1 million sticking plaster on offer and campaign for a full redevelopment of the station on its existing site and make it a facility we are proud of. I hope that Mr Timpson will not be behind the curve this time and he will join me in this important campaign.

But most importantly, Mr Timpson, stop taking the credit for other people's work and start telling the people of Crewe and Nantwich exactly what you and the Conservative Party stand for. Tell us about how your Party would stand back and do nothing to help people through the global recession. Tell us about your Party's cuts in spending on police, children's services, apprenticeships and many other important services the people of Crewe and Nantwich rely on.

And don't bother deploying your cronies to abuse me in anonymous letters. Come into the open and debate with me in your own name.

Yours faithfully

David Williams
Labour's Parliamentary Candidate
For Crewe and Nantwich

No comments: