Friday 22 May 2009

David Williams makes five pledges that shows he means business

“I do not seek office for personal gain, my priority is to stand up for the people of Crewe and Nantwich”, said David Williams, Labour’s Parliamentary Candidate for Crewe and Nantwich.

David continued, "As a measure of my intention to try and restore an element of trust between voters I have joined other Labour Prospective Parliamentary Candidates to put on record the following five pledges which will govern our conduct if we are elected to Parliament.

"A great many of our current Members of Parliament already embody these principles in their day-to-day conduct and their example should be recognised.

"I do not want a return to a system where only the wealthy can seek election to Parliament, so necessary reforms to the system of MPs’ expenses and allowances should acknowledge the legitimate need for appropriate accommodation and travel expenses.

"In the absence, however, of a decision on the final form of the new system, these pledges will act as my guide if I have the honour of being elected to the House of Commons."

The pledges David and others have signed up to are:

• As a parliamentary candidate I will subscribe to high standards of integrity, transparency, accountability and financial economy;

• I seek elected office not for personal gain but to serve the public and our democracy, which I consider an honour and a privilege;

• I will publish my expenses online within a month of submitting them and publicise them annually in full to constituents;

• I will hold regular meetings with my community and will regularly report back to my constituency party;

• I will apply the principle of best value to all decisions I make which involve the use of public money to cover my duties, including for travel and accommodation.

David has also made specific promises to the voters of Crewe and Nantwich, which can be viewed here.

Progress Online

No comments: