Sunday 10 May 2009

David Williams promises to be an open, honest and accountable MP

“It’s time for MPs to come clean on their second jobs”, said David Williams, Labour’s Parliamentary Candidate for Crewe and Nantwich.

Speaking to a meeting of the Executive Committee of Crewe and Nantwich Labour Party, David Williams said, “We need to know exactly how much time MPs spend away from parliamentary duties and how much they are paid.

“In Crewe and Nantwich our MP is paid by the family firm as well as picking up a MP’s salary. We have no idea how much he is paid or how many hours he has to work or what exactly he does for the company.

“It’s time Mr Timpson came clean, told us how much income he has received from Timpson’s Ltd since he was elected and how many hours he has worked for them. We also want to know how much he was given by his second employer to do up the constituency office”.

In his address to key local Labour Party activists and councillors, David Williams promised to uphold the highest standards of public life.

David made five key promises, if he is elected the MP for Crewe and Nantwich:

1. I will be a full-time MP, working only for the people of Crewe and Nantwich, with no second income.

2. I will not profit from the second homes allowance, because I will only rent accommodation.

3.I will live in the constituency, which will be my main residence and the family home.

4. I will not employ or pay money from the MP’s allowance to any member of my family.

5. I will publish all my income and expenses claims, so they are available to local voters.

David Williams concluded, “I promise the people of Crewe and Nantwich that I will be open, honest and accountable. My priority as a MP is to stand up for the people of Crewe and Nantwich.”

No comments: