Thursday, 23 October 2008

Help with rising energy costs

I know many people in crewe and Nantwich are worried about gas and electricity prices as a result of the big increases in world oil prices. The price of oil is starting to come down and I’m calling on energy companies to pass on the cuts to customers. But I wanted to make sure people are aware about the help and support that is available this winter.

What support can I get?

The Government has recently announced a new £1 billion package of measures to help families on low and modest incomes permanently cut their energy bills.
- Help for families to make savings of up to £300 a year on their energy bills.
- 50% off loft and cavity wall insulation for every household.
- Free Insulation for pensioners.

But simple measures like switching to the right tariff or getting home insulation can help get household bills down. You can:
- Contact your energy company to check if you are entitled to be on their lower tariffs for those on low incomes.
- Shop around between suppliers to get the best deal for your circumstances

Where do I go for Help?

WARM FRONT - 0800 316 2805
If you are on a low income or pensioner households on benefits you should contact Warm Front who offer up to £2,700 for central heating, insulation and other energy saving measures.

ENERGY SAVING TRUST - 0800 512 012
You can contact the Energy Saving Trust for free, independent and local energy saving advice, including how to access deals on discounted or free insulation as you may be eligible to get cut-price deals which could help save hundreds of pounds on your fuel bills.

CONSUMER DIRECT - 08454 040506
This is a Government funded advice service. They can give you advice on resolving complaints you may have with your energy company and help with debt management.

HOME HEAT HELPLINE - 0800 33 66 99
They can put you in touch with the right people at your energy supplier who can arrange reduced tariffs if you’re on a low income or other services such as free insulation. Home Heat can also check if you may be entitled to other help and refer you to Warm Front if you qualify.

Crewe and Nantwich Borough Council 01270 537777
The Borough Council may also offer local help with local schemes to help reduce your household bills.

If you are a pensioner you are also eligible for additional help including direct cash support:
- You can get a Winter Fuel Payments of £200 for households with someone aged 60 or over, or £300 if 80 or over.
- Also this autumn you’ll get an additional one-off payment of £100 if you’re aged 80or over and £50 if you’re 60 or over, to be paid alongside your normal Winter Fuel Payment.
- You may also automatically receive a Cold weather payment of £25 a week if the average temperature where you live is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero. degrees Celsius or below over seven consecutive days during the period from 1 November to 31 March.

Useful Numbers

Warmfront 0800 316 2805

Energy Saving Trust 0800 512 012

Consumer Direct 08454 040506

Home Heat Helpline 0800 33 66 99

Act on CO2 0800 512 012 – ideas and advice on making your home more energy efficient.

Consumer Council for Water 0845 039 2837 - takes up consumers’ complaints if they have tried and failed to resolve issues with their water and sewerage companies.

Help from David
As Labour's local Parliamentary Spokesman I'm more than happy to help wherever I can so please do not hesitate to contact me on 07798 696 603 or by e-mail

No comments: