Wednesday 29 October 2008

Letter to the Chronicle

Dear Sir

I welcome the invitation by Ken Veitch (Letters, 29 October) to elaborate on my opinion that Edward Timpson MP is not standing up for the people of Crewe and Nantwich.

Mr Timpson’s unique and privileged position allows him to use Parliament to run campaigns and question the Government on any issue he chooses. But he also has the responsibility of representing the views and concerns of constituents.

Yet in the six months he has been an MP, Mr Timpson has made few contributions in Parliament and has failed to speak on important issues from the constituency like job losses at Bentley and Focus DIY; the future of Crewe railway station; Nantwich’s First Responders Service, amongst others.

Further, in the two weeks that I have been selected as Labour's Prospective Parliamentary Candidate I have already been approached by two constituents who wrote to the MP and didn’t get a response.

Now we know that Mr Timpson is a very busy man. Not only is he our MP, but he continued to practise as a barrister after he was elected and he is a paid legal advisor for Timpson Limited. Perhaps his other jobs are getting in the way of him standing up in Parliament for the people of Crewe and Nantwich?

Mr Veitch also asked for my views on a few issues. With regard to Iraq and Afghanistan, I fully support the tremendous work that our armed services are doing in very difficult circumstances. I hope that the forthcoming Remembrance Sunday will be an opportunity for us to send a message of support to the men and women who are serving in those two conflicts as well as remembering the millions of brave people who lost their lives in many wars and conflicts over the years.

With regard to Trident, I have never been a supporter of unilateral nuclear disarmament, favouring the multilateral approach. To decide not to renew our nuclear defence system now would leave us, in the future, without a nuclear deterrent that is fit for purpose. That would be an act of unilateral disarmament, which I would oppose.

I am always happy to give a straight answer to a straight question. Rest assured, if I have the honour of being elected the MP for Crewe and Nantwich I will be a full-time MP and give the job of standing up for the people of Crewe and Nantwich my undivided attention.

Yours faithfully
David Williams
Labour PPC for Crewe and Nantwich
www.davidwilliams.org.uk

No comments: