Saturday 9 August 2008

Bentley man in bid to win seat for party

The Labour Party has started the process of selecting a candidate to fight for the Crewe and Nantwich seat at the next General Election.

The Union Of Shop, Distributive And Allied Workers political officer and former agent to the late Gwyneth Dunwoody, David Williams, has thrown his hat into the ring.

Mr Williams said: "I am committed to winning back Crewe and Nantwich for Labour.
"As an award-winning trade union campaigner from the shop floor of Bentley Motors, I have the local knowledge and national experience to be a first class representative for the constituency."

Mr Williams was shortlisted in the selection for Labour's candidate for the May by-election. He narrowly lost out, coming second to Tamsin Dunwoody.

Ms Dunwoody has now decided not to seek selection in Crewe and Nantwich and is supporting Mr Williams's bid.

Ms Dunwoody said: "I have known David for more than 20 years, since he first came to help my mother in the 1987 General Election as a young trade union activist from Bentley.

"He went on to be my mothers' agent at the next election and I know she always rated David very highly.

"David worked closely with me during the by-election and provided tremendous support in a difficult campaign.

"We share a commitment to create a better society by tackling crime, poverty and inequality.

"I know that David is the best placed person to win back Crewe and Nantwich at the next general election."

Sentinel Article

No comments: