Tuesday 9 June 2009

David Williams stands up for working carers

“Working carers' valuable contribution to society should be recognised and I am calling on the Government to provide more financial help”, said David Williams Labour’s Parliamentary Candidate for Crewe and Nantwich.

David was speaking in the House of Commons at a lobby he organised on behalf of members of the shopworkers union Usdaw. David joined John Hannett, Usdaw’s General Secretary, to ask MPs to support the progress made by Government to help working carers and calls for more financial help.

David Williams said: “Recognition for carers is important, but it doesn’t put bread on the table. They need more financial support and a better deal at work. Carers have a tough time, trying to balance work with their caring responsibilities.

“I am supporting the Government's Equalities Bill, which offers equal treatment for carers. However, I am also calling for the extension of Carers’ Allowance to low-income working carers earning more than the current threshold of £95 per week."

John Hannett, Usdaw General Secretary, added: “David’s campaigning with Usdaw has already delivered big benefits for working carers, with the introduction of the right to request flexible working and new legislation to stop discrimination against carers on the horizon. The next step is for the valuable work of carers to be recognised and rewarded properly.”

David also met two Usdaw members who are working carers (pictured) in the House of Commons and heard their real experiences of the day-to-day problems they deal with:

Poonit Deepala said: “Working all week and then caring all weekend leaves me no time to myself, but I need to work to have enough money to live. If the limit on earnings was increased for the Carers’ Allowance, the extra money would make a real difference to my finances.”

Sarah Langton said: “I am looking forward to the legislation outlawing discrimination against carers. I sometimes have to take time off work and this can cause problems. These new measures should ensure that I am not disciplined for lack of attendance when I have to look after my son.”

Usdaw

No comments: