Gordon Brown, Prime Minister and Leader of the Labour Party, today pledged Labour to the highest standards of integrity, accountability, and prudence with public money.
David Williams Labour's Parliamentary Candidate for Crewe and Nantwich has signed up to a six point promise that he will put the public's interest first.
Gordon Brown said, "The first thing we've got to do is to clean up politics once and for all. We've got to make sure that people see that their members of Parliament and those who seek to represent them are acting in the public interest and not in their self interest.
"We've got to make sure that people see that their politicians are in it not for what they can get, but for what they can give. That's why today we promise that we will uphold the highest standards of integrity, we promise that there will be transparency in everything we do, we promise that we will report to our constituents and do so as regularly as possible. Report not only to our own party but to all sections of the community in our constituencies so they can raise their concerns with us and we can be true and honoured servants of the people of this country.
"I believe that our pledge to clean up politics, complemented by the new Parliamentary Standards Authority that Harriet Harman is introducing, complemented by the new code of conduct for MPs and complemented by the review that is now taking place of four years of previous expenses, so we deal with any abuse, we deal with any repayment, we deal with anything that has been wrong and discipline people as necessary is the first start to making sure that the politics of our country are based on these principles: that we will always act responsibly and in a fair way."
The pledge signed by David today is as follows:
The Labour Party is a great movement for change, made up of people determined to serve the public interest and not their own.
As a Labour candidate:
- I seek elected office for the honour of serving the public and our democracy;
- I will subscribe to high standards of integrity, transparency, accountability and prudence with public money;
- I will publish online my full salary and parliamentary allowances;
- I believe it a duty to hold regular meetings, engagement events and surgeries with my community and constituents and will do so;
- I will communicate regularly with my electorate and will be available through email, telephone and other means to my constituents;
- I will regularly report back to my constituency party as well as to my constituents.
David Williams said, "It is important that constituents know what they are getting from their candidates at the next general election. I am delighted to make these promises in addition to the existing commitments I have made to the people of Crewe and Nantwich."
David's original promises to the voters of Crewe and Nantwich