Monday 8 June 2009

Not in my name

Nick Griffin has won a seat in the European Parliament. It's a disgrace.

They did not win because they represent the views of the majority, in fact the number of votes they secured went down compared to the last Euro elections. They won because turnout was down and because of the bizarre voting system, which is neither proportional nor representative.

I don't blame voters for not voting, all the major parties have to take responsibility for not enthusing participation in the democratic process. I will redouble my efforts to promote trust and confidence in the politics and in the Labour Party.

That old saying is now very appropriate: All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing. I would welcome the support and assistance of anyone in Crewe and Nantwich who wants to rid British politics of Fascists and have a proper policy debate between the Parties based on fairness not fear and hope not hate.

In the meantime, I've just signed a petition which says NOT IN MY NAME. The petition will be handed into the European Parliament on the day that BNP leader Nick Griffin takes his seat, because he does not represent my views or the views of the vast majority of people in the North West.

Sign the petition - let's show the rest of the EU what we think of the racist BNP.

No comments: