Friday 20 November 2009

Standing up for Crewe Works

Statement from David Williams, Labour's Parliamentary Candidate for Crewe and Nantwich
I was due to meet management and union representatives from Bombardier at Crewe Works today at 1pm along with North West Euro MP Brian Simpson. Overnight developments have now lead me to withdraw from the meeting.

I was informed late yesterday that my presence at the meeting had lead to angry complaints to the Company from Edward Timpson MP. I believe this intervention placed the management and unions in a very awkward position and I have decided to withdraw from the meeting so that Company and Unite the Union representatives have the opportunity of meeting Brian Simpson MEP. Brian is an important ally given his position as the local MEP and Chair of the European Transport Committee.

I was surprised by the intervention of the MP. I think it is a huge mistake to attempt to make the future of Crewe Works a 'political football'. The employees on that site need all the help they can get and I would have hoped that all parties could have worked together for the future prosperity of one of the Town's largest employers. This is an occasion when I would have thought that it was far more important to find a speedy resolution to Bombardier's problems rather than obstructing genuine moves to seek the help they so desperately need.

Bombardier and their employees continue to have my 100% backing. I will carry on lobbying Ministers for support for the company and particularly Crewe Works. I want to make sure that Labour's record investment in the railways brings jobs and work to Crewe and Nantwich and I would have hoped that the town's MP would have shared my concern and lent his assistance in this.

No comments: